Q: Door latch

My door latch is stuck closed. Therefore I can not shut my door. I may have slammed the door a little to hard. I've sat out side with screwdrivers and anything I can think of and the latch is not budging. Yes the door is unlocked and yes I've been holding open the door handle. I really don't want to take the door apart but what else can I do?

A: Unfortunately, you have done all that you c...

Unfortunately, you have done all that you can do without removing the door panel and accessing the lock assembly from the inside. It is likely that a release rod that connects your handle to the latch has come loose. There will be two mechanisms at play here. The release rod from the door handle and another to lock and unlock the latch. When this occurs, you have no choice but to begin disassembly. Once your inside, take time to study how things work. Even after removing the door panel, there are often other obstructions making it difficult to see all the inner workings. Door work can be one of the more frustrating jobs to do. It’s best not to do it in a hurry.

As stated before, I would be looking for a rod that has come loose. It could be in the locking mechanism or he door handle mechanism. If this is the case, you will probably need a clip that holds it in place. Unfortunately, these clips are not easy to come by. Your best option to find one is a body shop or the dealer. Of course, this is the best case scenario. As I stated earlier, take time to study how things work in there.

An un-clipped release rod is the best scenario here. The next likely cause is the door latch itself. If you suspect the the latch is broken, replacing it is the best thing to do. They are intricate and complicated. I have messed with them in the past with a low success in repair. Best case scenario with a door latch is to thoroughly clean it and lube it. In the case of a latch that won’t move with the methods you have already employed, I don’t think cleaning the latch will suffice. Take your time if you are working on this on your own. And if you need help, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your door issue and help you get it repaired promptly.