Q: Does the CV boot need to be replaced or do i need to replace the whole axle? 2008 Chevrolet Uplander

My car was making a noise on the front driver side. I had my mechanic to check it out and he said that I needed to replace the CV boots. He put it back in place but it popped back out. He said that there is a screw of some sort that is holding it in place that is no longer holding it. When I'm checking on the repair kit it is not offered to my understanding for my particular make and model. Can I repair or replace just the CV boot or do I have to replace the whole axle?

Hello - the CV joint or axle boot is available separately from a variety of sources. What your mechanic may be saying however, is that given your mileage, it would be best to replace the whole axle assembly for reliability reasons. Replacing the CV boot requires considerable labor as well, and your best repair $ may be to go ahead and replace the whole axle assembly. I would recommend a CV axle replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Does the CV boot need to be replaced or do i need to replace the whole axle? 2008 Chevrolet Uplander