Q: Does the FCC ID code on a keyless entry remote matter if I bought a used car that has a keyless entry system but no remote for it?

asked by on March 14, 2018

I purchased a used car that has a keyless entry system but did not come with a keyless remote. I am looking to purchase an aftermarket remote and program it myself, but I keep seeing online that the FCC ID code must match the existing remote. There is no existing remote that I know of for my car. Does the FCC ID code matter in my case? If no, can I just purchase any remote compatible with my car? If yes, where can I find the original FCC ID that was issued to the car's first owner?

Hi Corina. Thanks for contacting us today. Unfortunately, we really can’t help you with this question, as we don’t offer technical assistance on aftermarket systems. You should probably reach out to the manufacturer of the aftermarket system you want to buy and install to get better clarification on this.