Q: Does my 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt have 2 timing chains?

My check engine light came on and the mechanic read the code and diagnosed it as a problem with the timing chain. After opening up the car he says that there are two timing chains, and both need replacement, as well as the tensioner. Does the 2010 Cobalt have 2 timing chains?

Hi Tiffany. Thanks for contacting us today. I think your mechanic is simply confused with the nomenclature, but there are (2) chains that comprise the timing system on a 2.2 Ecotec engine. The first is the timing chain, which is connected to the intake and exhaust camshafts. The second is the balance shaft chain, which attaches to the crankshaft. It is common to replace both when the tensioner has failed, so he would be correct in this case to recommend this replacement.