Q: Does mass air flow sensor need replacing if unplugged and car shuts off?

Car is having trouble starting after I have driven it. I have to crank the engine for about 30 seconds until it starts. Mechanic tells me I need to remove and replace mass air flow sensor, but I unplugged it and the car shut off so is that not the problem? On other forum someone was having the same issue as I and said it was his cam shaft postion sensor that was the problem. Just wanted advice so i don't pay for something that won't fix the problem.

Just because the car shuts off when you unplug the MAF, it doesn’t mean that it is bad. But it also doesn’t mean that it is good. Your car has the ability to adapt to missing signals so unplugging a component is not a reliable way to diagnose it. While there are some good forums out there, it is easy to be misled by someone’s account of a problem that seems similar to yours, but is in fact something else altogether. The best way to avoid spending money unnecessarily is to get a proper diagnosis by someone with the right training and equipment before buying any expensive parts. You can have that conveniently done by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your hard starting problem and let you know what is the solution.

3. Does mass air flow sensor need replacing if unplugged and car shuts off?