Q: Are the powertrain control modules in a 2004 Dodge Ram and 2008 Dodge Ram the same?

We are trying to figure out the trucks problem. I got a p0601 code as well as ignition coil codes and evap system codes. We bought a truck from a dealer and the engine went out within a week, they replaced the engine with an 04, they disabled our check engine light in the process and i doubt they changed out the pcm to match the current engine that was put in. Would a pcm for a 2008 cause a 2004 engine to have ignition coil codes, and evap system codes. Im trying to figure out if I just need to get the right pcm or is this worse than im thinking?

The powertrain control module (PCM) part numbers for the 2004 and 2008 model year trucks are different. So, it’s possible that the PCM could be the problem. However, there are countless things that could have gone wrong with an engine swap like this. Just one wire being left disconnected could cause all kinds of problems, including those you describe. I recommend taking the vehicle back to the shop that did the repairs to demand they make things right. If that doesn’t work, the team at YourMechanic would be happy to diagnose and repair your Dodge.

3. Are the powertrain control modules in a 2004 Dodge Ram and 2008 Dodge Ram the same?