Q: Do I really need 4 new brake lines if no brake light is on and no visible brake problems while driving?

I took my car to the dealership for my usual free state inspection and was alarmed when I was called and told that I need 4 new brake lines but I could get away with buying 3 and that I needed two new tires. They are failing my car and I have not been having any problems with my brakes, no brake light on, and my tires still have good tread on them. Is this fair? No car that I have ever driven, past or present, has ever failed a state inspection. I get my car repaired whenever needed and I don't let problems linger that is why this has thrown me for a loop.

Hello. Depending on the area you live in, it is common for brake lines to corrode over time and need replacement. It is not too common, but in areas that have a lot of road salt this will occur. If it is the rubber lines then they just need to be replaced. If you want to have repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace the brake lines for you.

• Do I really need 4 new brake lines if no brake light is on and no visible brake problems while driving?