Q: Do I really need 4 new brake lines if no brake light is on and no visible brake problems while driving?

I took my car to the dealership for my usual free state inspection and was alarmed when I was called and told that I need 4 new brake lines but I could get away with buying 3 and that I needed two new tires. They are failing my car and I have not been having any problems with my brakes, no brake light on, and my tires still have good tread on them. Is this fair? No car that I have ever driven, past or present, has ever failed a state inspection. I get my car repaired whenever needed and I don't let problems linger that is why this has thrown me for a loop.

A: Hello. Depending on the area you live in, i...

Hello. Depending on the area you live in, it is common for brake lines to corrode over time and need replacement. It is not too common, but in areas that have a lot of road salt this will occur. If it is the rubber lines then they just need to be replaced. If you want to have repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to replace the brake lines for you.