Q: Do I need a new transmission?

The car jerks several times after putting it into drive and won't move even though I'm pressing the accelerator. It will jerk and accelerate after a few seconds and usually no more jerks/stalls. If it is cold, it takes longer for the car to recover from the stall. There is also a reddish brown fluid beneath the car.

The leak might be transmission fluid. If the transmission has been leaking for a while, the fluid level could have fallen low enough to cause engagement and shift difficulties. Therefore, you should first check the fluid level. If low, add fluid while being VERY careful not to overfill the transmission as overfilling is as bad as underfilling. If the difficulty then resolves itself, request a transmission fluid leak diagnostic in order to get the leak identified and repaired.

If the problem you are having is not due to a low fluid level, or is not resolved by adding fluid to the required level, please note that depending on the fault, transmissions are often repairable in the field, on or off the car. The cost of the repair will depend on exactly what has gone wrong with the transmission and so the best thing to do is get the issue properly diagnosed so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed. As noted, some transmission faults arise because the the fluid level is too low, there could be a plugged filter, faulty shift solenoids or other frankly mundane and easily (on the car) repairable faults. If you desire that the problem with the transmission be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a transmission shift diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you, particularly if you just need more information to make wise, informed decision.