Q: Difficulty shifting in reverse, ESP and Speedtronic inoperable

Ocassionally, I have difficulty shifting in reverse. It happens usually when I start the car and it just cannot shift into reverse. If I restart the car, I manage to shift into reverse again. Also, there are occasional warnings that come on, indicating that the Speedtronic and ESP are inoperable. These warnings sometimes turn off after I restart the car. What is causing these issues and are they connected in any way?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2007 Mercedes Benz E550. This is a common issue on many Mercedes models. Sometimes simply shutting the car off and removing the key and waiting for 20-30 seconds before re-starting eliminates the problem. Alternatively, if this does not work, there is a sensor in the steering column called a control module/angle sensor that has been known to cause this issue when defective. If you would like help having this looked at, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting problem and help you get this resolved.