Q: Difficulty accelerating, car jumps while idling, burnt fuel smell

I'm having some acceleration issue lately. When I apply the gas pedal, the car has difficulty increasing speed and it feels as though it would die out. Then I have to press it to the floor, which makes the car start tugging and then accelerate. Also, while the car is idling, it would jump up and down and then I can smell burnt fuel. This happens usually at the traffic light but sometimes even while I'm driving. While I'm applying the brake, the car would jerk forward. What is causing these issues? Thanks.

A few different things can cause all of these symptoms. The most likely would be a failing fuel pump, bad spark plugs and wires, a MAF sensor issue, vacuum leak, or a faulty oxygen sensor. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your vehicle’s perceived loss of power and perform any repairs required.

3. Difficulty accelerating, car jumps while idling, burnt fuel smell