Q: Differential fill plug can't be removed - 1984 Chevrolet K20

I have tried and tried, but can not remove the differential fill plug. I even used a torch to heat it and I also tried pouring various kinds of penetrating fluid on it. Nothing works. Almost all of the fluid in the pinion seal has leaked out, plus the rear end has been squealing when I just lightly touch the throttle. Is there a way to fill this without removing the differential fill plug?

A: Hi there, thanks for your question. A few d...

Hi there, thanks for your question. A few different differentials were offered in trucks like yours, so I’m not sure which one you have. In some cases, there are aftermarket differential covers available that include a fill plug. If not, you can try chiseling out the OEM fill plug or you could drill and tap a new plug into the differential cover.

If you’d like further help with this issue, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians come to your home or office to perform this service for you.