Q: Delay when shifting while pressing the gas pedal on a 2004 Explorer XLT

My wife has a 2004 Explorer XLT. When I shift in the drive, there is a delay when I press the gas pedal. Once the delay is gone, the car accelerates quickly. Do you have any ideas?

A: Change the transmission fluid and filter, a...

Change the transmission fluid and filter, and pray that that helps because that is a sign of transmission fluid pump starting to wear out. It’s taking a second to build up enough pressure and a lot of time changing the fluid and filter helps. If it doesn’t, just take care of it because eventually it wouldn’t go at all and you would have to put another transmission and that’s a relatively expensive job. If you would like to have the gear shifting issue inspected, a qualified mechanic may be able to make repairs on the car now to that further damage isn’t done.