Q: Dash lights on, everything fine on checkup

Hi. I've purchased this previously owned vehicle and the dashboard shows several lights illuminated, including VSC, Check Engine and Trac Off lights. The oxygen sensor was replaced but the lights are on again. The car was checked and I was told that everything is fine. Why are these warnings still on and how can I turn them off? Am I safe to drive the car? Thanks.

The reason your Check Engine Light is on would depend on what the particular code stored states. As for this issue, I would recommend getting an engine diagnostic performed by a certified technician. Engine issues typically do not cause the vehicle to be unsafe, but may potentially cause the car to breakdown. As for the VSC and Traction Control Lights, these lights will usually come on if there is an issue with the traction control system.

Common issues that cause these lights would include faulty wheel speed sensors and broken tone rings. This issue will also not cause a safety issue. The first vehicles ever made did not come with traction control and some vehicles that are produced today still do not have traction control so your car is safe to drive. For best results, just make sure to have the issues diagnosed by someone who is qualified to these checks and inspections for your warning lights.