Q: Cruise control quit working

The cruise control was intermittently not working and then finally stopped entirely. After replacing the multifunction control arm on the steering column, it still doesn’t work. I purchased a replacement brake switch, but I can't seem to find where or how to get to the original one. I don’t have a sophisticated computer trouble code diagnostic tool. Which should I do first: go to a shop to have it diagnosed for codes or figure out how to replace the brake switch?

A: Thanks for writing in about your 1998 Chevr...

Thanks for writing in about your 1998 Chevrolet C1500 Suburban. I would want to diagnose the brake pedal switch first so I wouldn't replace one that is working fine. A technician using scan tool will easily be able to see if the brake pedal position switch "message" is getting to the computer or not. You may also need to check for the cruise control module. If you need help having these items checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose your cruise control problem and determine what repairs are needed.