Q: Could car jump the curb after being left in park with a faulty transmission

The transmission has been slipping when I put it in reverse. To the point that I had to floor it and rev the engine to get it to back up. I then put the car in park and came back out and the car jumped the curb and was in park. Is it possible that the transmission slipped into gear or something to that effect? After this happened reverse did not work at all and the car barely had power in drive

A: It sounds like you have transmission issues...

It sounds like you have transmission issues. Police cars are sometimes driven very hard and as a result, the transmissions take a lot of abuse.

The transmission has a mechanical device to lock the driveshaft when it’s in Park. While it’s possible for this component to fail, it is likely that the shift linkage is slightly out of adjustment and that’s why it jumped out of Park and allowed the vehicle to roll.

As far as the slipping is concerned, first check to make sure you have the proper amount of transmission fluid. You will need to check it with the engine running to get an accurate reading. If the transmission fluid is full, you most likely have internal damage to the clutches, and a rebuild or replacement will be the fix.