Q: Coughs and sputters first few ninutes of the day and not starting

On first start up and drive of the day, the engine coughs and sputters for a few minutes, then settles down to normal. Idle air control just replaced with no change in problem. Plugs are 6 mos. old as well as the coils. Timing belt replaced 6 mos. ago. Not throwing any codes.

A: Hello. Though there are a lot of possible c...

Hello. Though there are a lot of possible causes here, most of the time this is a fuel related problem. If the fuel pump is not holding good pressure when the vehicle is shut down and if the pressure does not build up right away when it is started then this will occur. If the fuel pressure is fine then I will usually install a scan tool to check the sensor readings when this is occurring. I would suspect a bad oxygen sensor or a failure in the air flow meter. The readings would let me know for sure what is going on. If you are planning on having this problem repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this rough idle and sputtering.