Q: Converting manual transmission to automatic

I have a 1997 F150 4.2 with an M5OD that I want to convert to automatic. I also have a 2001 F150 4R70W and the PCM from that vehicle. When having the '97 PCM reprogrammed to operate the 4R70W, will I have issues with the speedometer being my instrument cluster is not digital? I do have the instrument cluster for the 2001. Also, how do I incorporate the transmission wire harness in to the PCM?

In order to do this swap, you will need to have the powertrain control module(PCM) from the vehicle that has the manual transmission. The PCM from your automatic transmission truck will likely not work when the manual transmission is installed. The transmission harness for the manual transmission is designed to connect to the PCM for a truck with a manual transmission. If you have the instrument cluster, PCM, and transmission from the vehicle that originally had the manual transmission, you should have everything you need to do the swap. If you’re in doubt about this repair I would recommend enlisting in the assistance of a qualified professional to help you.

3. Converting manual transmission to automatic