Q: cold start issues

hello I have had my van since 3-12 first to winters no problem with cold start (meaning it rotates fine) then intermittent and now when it's around 30 or so it will start but on real low idle then it come a little when warm to normal no miss or rough idle runs fine when it's real cold (single digits) I while cranking the engine give it just a little gas ( I know it's TBI and will flood very easily) without checking codes yet which I know how to do with a small paper clip could it be say coolant temp sensor ,or tps oh when its warmer out say 50 above it does normal I think any way it starts high idle up then comes b ack down to normal. I hate to type so I don't expect a miracle answer I know to check wires connections etc thanks for you time....jim

Hi Jim. The poor cold start may be related to a faulty/dirty IAC (idle air control) valve not allowing engine RPM (revolutions per minute) to increase with ambient temperatures below 30 degrees. Assuming the check engine light is on, accessing the ECM (engine control module)/computer for trouble codes may assist in diagnosing the area of concern. I recommend having your vehicle’s cold start issues be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. cold start issues