Q: Code P0010- Replaced Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid and light popped on later that day... what now?

asked by on July 25, 2017

Alright, so about a week ago, my check engine light popped up. It was intermittent so I gave it some time and then took it in to get scanned. P0010 was the only error code. My mechanic said that the most likely fix was my intake cam solenoid replaced it the same day. The check engine light stayed off for 5 start cycles and then was back on. Before the fix, my car felt a little rough at higher speeds and stalled occasionally and had highly increased fuel consumption. On the drive home, my drive felt much smoother without any stalling so I was sure the problem had been fixed. I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a money pit... what are the possibilities that could still be wrong?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

P0010 can be caused by inadequate oil delivery due to engine oil sludge (the VVT system relies on hydraulic pressure), worn timing components (chains, gears, guides), malfunctions in the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors, and wiring faults. The possibility of ECM software updates should be checked as well. In your circumstance, and with the possibility of other marginal parts (such as the oxygen sensor if it is original), a real time scanner should be applied to observe engine operating conditions. To obtain a diagnostic which will pinpoint the reason why the code P0010 is still not resolved, please refer to YourMechanic’s check engine light diagnostic service. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr