Q: Clunking noise from front of car when driving slowly or turning slowly

I have a clunking noise that occurs at slow speed and when turning sharp at slow speed. Suspect it could be track rod end or steering rack. The unusual part is that it only happens when the car is hot, either on a hot day or after driving on highway for a while. Do you have any ideas why it is like this?

Hi there. Most clunking sounds, especially while turning, are attributed to worn out bearings or bushings - especially CV joints, tie rod ends, and also stabilizer bar joints. Not sure why it would only happen while it is hot outside, however, if you’ve been driving on the highway frequently and then make sudden street turns and it happens, it could be bushings in the stabilizer bar that make the clunking noise.

Before you try to fix this issue though, it may be a good idea to contact a local ASE certified mechanic so they can road test your Audi and diagnose the steering and suspension. This will save you a lot of time and money in the short- and long- term.

• Clunking noise from front of car when driving slowly or turning slowly