Q: Chemical odor in the car - 2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK350

There is a very strong chemical type of smell in the car. It is noticeable only sporadically, so when I went to the dealership, they couldn't diagnose what was going on. It is sometimes unbearable. What could be wrong?

A: Hot engine coolant, possibly leaking in the...

Hot engine coolant, possibly leaking in the passenger compartment via the heater core, or a heater control valve, may be the source of this unpleasant smell. It doesn’t take much of a leak (a few drops will do) to create the smell. A YourMechanic professional can diagnose this possible coolant leak and make all necessary repairs at your home or office.