Check Engine Sign flashing. Engine/Car shaking or vibrati...

Q: Check Engine Sign flashing. Engine/Car shaking or vibrating when not moving.

asked by on November 17, 2017

My 1999 Sienna's check engine light came on this morning. Later it started flashing when I was at a red light or not moving, and the car would vibrate or shake. The vibration seemed like it was coming from the engine. The car accelerates fine and doesn't vibrate when moving, but the light stays on. It also shakes a bit when in Parking. I've had my Radiator fixed recently if that helps.

Hi Kazi. Thanks for sending in your question today. Typically, when the check engine light or other warning light illuminates, it means the ECU or onboard computer has detected a mechanical or electrical fault from the engine, transmission or other vehicle systems. It creates an error code, that can be downloaded by a professional mechanic - and often leads to the likely source of symptoms you’re experiencing. The vibration issue can be caused by a faulty mass air flow sensor, fuel delivery problems, or even vacuum leaks or worn out engine mounts. I think your best bet is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an inspection, so they can determine what is damaged or causing that warning light, so the right repairs can be completed.