Q: The car pulls every once in a while

My Volvo was just purchased used. We have already replaced the oil pump but the car still jerks once in a while.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Sounds lik...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Sounds like this may be related to either transmission components failing, or potentially a fuel delivery problem which may also create the jerking feeling that you’re describing.

Does the car run fine when in park? Try putting the vehicle in park and running the RPMs up a bit. Let it idle and see how it responds. If it runs well, then we can rule out a fuel problem. If it is limited to only when driving the car, it is most likely a transmission problem which could be related to a variety of things from low transmission fluid to a faulty solenoid or control module. If you’d like some assistance, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this issue for you.