Q: Check Engine light won't go off

I was told that I needed a vapor canister purge solenoid for my 2004 Hyundai Elantra. Plus, the Check Engine light won't go off, and I can only pump $1.00 in gas and the pumps keeps cutting off like the tank is full.

Hi there. The vapor purge solenoid releases the fumes in the gas tank. If the solenoid is stuck closed, the gasses can’t escape and try to come out the fill tube. The nozzles at the gas pump are designed to turn off if there is back pressure so that the fuel does not come flying back at you. That is why it keeps turning off every few dollars worth. The solenoid can fail, but it can also not be getting a signal to open. If the signal is not getting to it, it won’t work even if you replace it. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the Check Engine Light to make sure which component is causing the problem.

3. Check Engine light won't go off