Q: Check Engine light still on after speedometer fix.

My Check Engine light came on after the speedometer went out. I replaced the speedometer and the Check Engine light is still on.

Hi there. The most common cause of the speedometer quitting and the Check Engine Light coming on is the vehicle speed sensor. This sensor is located on the transmission and sends a speed signal to the computer to allow the computer to know engine speed and for it to show on the dash. Once the sensor is replaced the codes reset it should be fine. A mechanic would typically install a scan tool to see if they get a speed signal from the sensor. If not then it is replaced. If you are not comfortable with this then you should enlist the help of a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic.

3. Check Engine light still on after speedometer fix.