Q: Check Engine Light on after changing oil - 2012 Kia Rio5

I changed my oil over the weekend with Mobile 1 synthetic and a BG oil stabilizer. I also changed the air filters and oil filter. But here’s the stupid thing I did without thinking. I drained the oil and took off the old oil filter and started the car for about 5 seconds. My Check Engine light came on when I started my car today. Do you why my check engine light is on? Could it be from me starting my car with no oil filter on?

A: If starting it today was the first time aft...

If starting it today was the first time after changing your oil, the oil filter and oil galleries were empty for a few seconds. If this is the case, the Check Engine Light is reflecting the lack of oil pressure while the oil pump fills the filter and gets oil to the engine and oil pressure sensor. The Check Engine Light should have gone off in a few seconds. If your engine oil ran 5 seconds or so without oil, it is unlikely to have ruined anything. However, if the Check Engine remains on, or the oil light on your instrument cluster comes on, get your engine inspected by a competent mechanic, like YourMechanic, who can address the oil issue before driving it further.