Q: CD player draining battery - 1991 Saab 9000

I'm wondering if my CD player in my car could be draining my battery. It hasn’t worked for 2 years and was a factory installed system. I have heard a noise coming from the unit even though I never use it. If this is causing the battery drain, how can I stop it from doing this?

A: This is a possibility! This problem can be ...

This is a possibility! This problem can be diagnosed by connecting an ammeter to the positive (red) battery cable, observe the current drain (likely less than 1 amp), then, one at a time, remove each fuse, check to see if the current drain has dropped to near 0, then reinsert the fuse. This process should identify the faulty circuit in most cases. Start with the circuit/fuse for the CD player. A professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, can perform this procedure for you, and replace/repair the failing component.