Q: Cars cranking and trying to start but wont

I went to my friends house and after while trying to leave my car wouldnt start. It sounds like its about to start but it just wont turn over. Batterys fine tryed jumping it thinking that was the problem. Later that night i came back to check the codes because the engine light was on. It cane up saying that multiple cylinders were misfiring and something about air to fuel ratio. Any suggestions on what happened, or whats wrong? I checked the oil too and the dipstick was covered all the way too the top and suddenly had no oil in it. I checked the oil about a week ago and it was fine. Very strange would like answers they would be appreciated

As engines wear, they tend to use more oil. At the moment, just be sure to add adequate oil to your engine and, going forward, just be sure to check the oil level more frequently. Of course, check for obvious external oil leaks and also consider replacing the valve stem oil seals, which should reduce oil consumption. If there are no external leaks and yet you are using, say, 1 quart every 1,000 or 1,500 miles, the only solution is to rebuild the engine.

As far as the no start, prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully charged battery that passes a load test. Then, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. Basically, if a fully charged battery is powering a starter motor that is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel, air induction, or mechanical fault in the engine that will have to be repaired. Be sure there is adequate fuel in the fuel tank and that the fuel is not old. Check for adequate fuel pressure (does the in tank fuel pump whirr momentarily at the instant you turn the key to the "on" position?; if not, you have a dead fuel pump), injector operation, and a spark at the spark plugs. In your circumstance, your vehicle’s Check Engine Light is illuminated. If the simple checks I outlined above do not result in the car starting your best option is to request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that will identify the "system" or area of the fault. Using those general codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are then individually tested to pinpoint the cause of the fault. Once the faulty part or component is pinpointed, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Cars cranking and trying to start but wont