Q: Car won't turn over

When I try to start my car, all I hear is a continuous raspy. It seems like there is no ignition. The voltage on my battery appears fine per the meter. I think it might be spark plugs dying.

A: The description "raspy" makes me ...

The description "raspy" makes me think of grinding. A grinding sound when cranking usually points to a worn flywheel. The flywheel is a giant gear that is usually between your engine and your transmission. This is what the starter engages to turn your engine. If the teeth on the flywheel are worn, two things will happen. It will make a grinding sound as the starter spins against the worn teeth, and it will also wear away the teeth on the starter drive. The repair entails replacing both the flywheel and starter. Be sure to have your vehicle’s turning over issue inspected. I would advise having this be performed by a professional mechanic because removal of the transmission will be necessary.