Q: Car won't stay running 1997 Honda CR-V

I was driving down the road and all my meters started to shut off then the whole car shut down. Wouldn't turn on, put my charge box on it and it started to the clamps off it stopped. So I get it home and figure it's the alternator, just finished putting a new alternator in, charged the battery, turned it on, took the clamps off and it shuts down again. I'm completely lost now on what it could be. Did I waste my time doing the alternator? maybe wires or a fuse? Please help!

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - the loss of electrical power, with subsequent engine shutdown is a serious and safety issue. There was a Recall from Honda (# 02V120000) to replace the ignition switch for just such a problem. Task #1 is to determine if this Recall fix has been applied to your vehicle. You can check this yourself by going to http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/recalls-by-VIN.php or by visiting your local Honda dealer. For further assistance, I recommend an electrical system inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.