Q: What should I know about winter tires and chains?

What should I know about winter tires and chains?

Driving in the winter requires that you take certain steps to ensure that you’re safe on the road. One of the most important things to do is to make sure that you have the right tires mounted:

1. Mud and Snow: Depending on the amount of snow and ice you get each winter, you may be able to use mud and snow tires. They’re marked with an “M&S” on the sidewall and are designed for better traction in winter driving conditions than summer tires are.

2. Snow Tires: If you live in an area with significant snowfall each year, studded snow tires may be an option. Make sure they’re legal where you live, and always mount them in sets of four (never mount just two).

3. Tire Chains: Tire chains are always good options to carry with you during the winter. If you don’t have studded snow tires, make sure you have a set of chains for emergency use. Honda recommends the following:

• Tire size 195/65R15: SCC Radial Chain SC1030

• Other tire sizes: SCC Radial Chain SC1032

Tip

Always mount tire chains carefully and make sure they don’t touch the brake lines or any suspension components.