Q: Car won't start, sat for months

My car sat for a couple of months and the other day I wanted to start it up, but it wouldn't start. After trying to jump-start the vehicle, there would be just clicking but no engine running. Also, the dashboard was showing some lights on. I had the battery charged and had the terminals cleaned up. I'm planning to test the solenoid and starter. Could you tell me where these are located so that I can get them out? Do you have any other suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Hello. You are on the right track with testing the starter to see if it works. It is also possible that the battery has a bad cell in it and is not strong enough to start the car. I would replace the battery with a new one since the battery has not been used in several months. The best way to find the starter is to follow the positive battery cable from the battery down to the starter. The starter should be located on the side of the engine between the engine and the transmission. These two components are likely the cause of the problem you are experiencing. If you need assistance with this repair, contact a certified technician from YourMechanic, who will be able to assist you in determining why your car will not start.

3. Car won't start, sat for months