Q: Belts squeaking

The belts on my car are squeaking when I start it and continue for a few minutes before stopping.

Hello, your engine has two belts and adjustable tensioners. The belts should be checked to see if they are dry and cracking, and also to see how stretched they are. The belt’s tensioner can be used to tighten the belts to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated. The belt tensioner pulley should also be check to be sure the bearings are not noisy. If the noise persists the belts should be replaced. If you need to have this repaired, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the belt’s squeaking sound. They will also be able to replace the belt on your car if necessary.