Q: Car won't start - Ford Escape

asked by on October 25, 2016

My car won't start. We've changed the starter and tried many batteries. When we turn the key the volts on the battery drop from 12 to 7 or 8.

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the battery starts out at 12 volts and is dropping to 7 or 8 volts, then you have a bad battery. When cranking, it shouldn’t fall below 9.6 volts. There may be other issues at hand, but the numbers you listed are that of a battery that needs to be replaced. Without knowing what signs are associated with the vehicle not starting, it’s hard to say if there is a starter problem, a fuel pump that isn’t supplying enough fuel, or an ignition problem. If the car cranks normally and just doesn’t start, then I would look at the fuel supply, or check to see if the engine is getting spark. If you turn the key and just get a clicking sound, then I would suspect the battery (though until you have a battery that doesn’t fall below 9.6 volts when the engine is cranked, the other tests will need to be questioned), a wiring problem, a faulty relay, or any number of other possible problems. It would be a good idea to have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your starting problem for you.