Q: Car won't start.

asked by on November 19, 2016

Got this car from somebody that had wrecked it. They damaged the right front fender and headlight area. Since the wreck the car wont start or even try to turn over at all. All the lights work and everything. You turn the key over and nothing happens. The security light is on constantly, no flashing at all. We replaced the ignition Cylinder and that didn't help at all. Just looking to get put in the right direction. Thanks.

Hello. You are going to want to start by checking out the electrical systems pertaining to the starting components. Start with the battery cables. Check all of the cables including the grounds and the connection to the starter. Chances are there has been damaged to one of the connections or possibly to the battery or the starter itself. The battery may have enough power to turn on lights but not the starter. You can have both of these components tested athe your local parts stores. Keep in mind that bench testing a starter will often give a false positive when the starter has actually failed. Test the starter, battery, battery cables, all grounds, and the fuse box. Make appropriate repairs to any damaged components.