Q: Loss of reverse on a BMW 74 DI

I lost my reverse from one day to the next on my 2001 BMW 74 DI. It is a good drive and has no other issues. Is there anything that I should check before considering a new transmission?

If you are going to continue to drive it, you are going to need a new transmission, or you either park where you never have to back up. I said that to a customer with a BMW who did that for four years. He just wanted to make sure that he would never have to back up when he parked instead of his car sticking out somewhere. And if he did get stuck, he had friends to push him back and then drive it forward. He drove it for four or five years that way. The transmission on that car is going to be a fortune on that 74 BMW. You might try to find a used one in the salvage yard. There’s a lot of them got racked out, but still have some decent transmission. If you want to have the car checked by a certified technician in person, a mechanic from YourMechanic can visit your location to diagnose your transmission and let you know repair you can follow through with.

3. Loss of reverse on a BMW 74 DI