Q: Charging system failure

asked by on February 03, 2017

My car won't start. Charging system failure on screen. Battery has juice and when I try to turn it over the starter goes crazy like the car is trying to start without me turning the ignition

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a problem with a weak battery or potentially a failing alternator which will cause this light to come on. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.