Q: Car Won't Start

asked by on December 24, 2016

Car key pad batteries went dead. Changed them. Car won't lock or unlock. Our key in ignition brake is hard. Everything lights up but won't start. Brake is extremely hard. I drove it earlier that day and nothing was wrong. Tried to start later that day wouldn't start. Car alarm went off when tried to enter car using key. I put car key in ignition to silence the alarm. I hit the unlock button on key pad to stop alarm. It worked but then the car would not start. The key pad also will not lock or unlock car. It also will not remote start any longer. Had AAA test battery they said it was fine so I had the car towed home. Never has this happen in the six months I owned the car. Also the brake lights come on when pressed but they are extremely hard. The EPS light stays on but not sure for how long due to the fact that the car just did this. Checked the oil is is fairly dark but not low. Should I check the brake fluid level. Please help! Could it be my key pad disabling the car?

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is having some sort of malfunction with the security system. It may be possible that the security system is enabled and preventing the vehicle from starting. This may or may not be related to the the recent battery replacement for the remote, or it could also be related to the EPS light. The EPS light comes on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle’s electronic power steering system. There are cases where a steering malfunction will prevent the vehicle from starting, if the issue detected is serious enough to significantly affect the vehicle’s handling. It is unlikely that the brake fluid or engine oil are related to the issue, but it would not be a bad idea to make sure that they are topped off. I would recommend retrieving the trouble codes that are setting off the EPS light, as they will likely reveal some information on what the issue may be. Also keep in mind that a no start condition can be caused by other things, such as issues with the ignition system, or even the starter itself. As these sorts of electrical issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to [diagnose the cause of your warning light, and if it may be related to the no start condition.