Q: Car won't start after I changed the fuel pump. It was dying and back firing before I changed it. Could it just be low on gas now?

Could I just need gas in it or could it be something else? I tried to use starter fluid to start it. That didn't work, it caught on fire but did bit start.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I recommend list...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I recommend listening to hear if the fuel pump is running during cranking, and checking fuel pressure. Should be at least 10 psi. If the pump is not running, check the fuel pump fuse(s) and relay, and for voltage to the pump. This engine also uses an oil pressure cutoff switch - no oil pressure, no fuel pump operation (safety issue).

What symptoms led to replacing the fuel pump? Didn't hear the fuel pump run? Problem code for low/no fuel pressure? Even though this vehicle is pre-OBD II, problem codes are set and can be extracted. It is best to extract the problem codes now to determine what the current problem state is.

"Dying and backfiring" are symptoms of a lean mix, but could also be a problem if the car has jumped the timing, or there are big air leaks in the intake (e.g. EGR valve stuck). If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.