Q: Car will not start when in park

My car will not start when it's in park, only neutral. I did a search online that said that the issue lies in the neutral safety switch. Is this something I can fix on my own? Could it be anything else?

A: The transmission has a position sensor that...

The transmission has a position sensor that will tell the computer what gear you are in and when you are in park or neutral to allow you to crank the engine. If the switch is out of adjustment or not making internal contact, it will not allow the engine to crank or the transmission will not shift correctly. It will be best to have a mechanic repair it for you and adjust it properly so you will not have any further issues. A certified mechanic from YourMechanic can provide this service at your home or office.