Q: Car turns over from starter, but not from ignition

My car suddenly shut down while I was driving the other day. It seemed like there was no power getting to the ignition switch, so I replaced both the starter and the ignition switch. It will not turn over from the ignition, but it will from the starter. However, the car won’t stay on after starting it directly from the starter. The battery is a new one and the battery cables look good. I also checked the fuses. What should I do next to find the cause of this?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air. If the starter will turn over when jumped directly, then power is not getting to the starter. The wiring diagram I have for this vehicle is horrible, probably because it’s so old. It looks like power flows from the ignition switch to the purple wire at the starter motor. If there is no power there and you’ve already replaced the ignition switch, the problem is likely in the wiring. I don’t see that this vehicle uses a relay or anything of that nature - power just flows from the ignition switch, to some kind of power distribution block and then to the starter. I recommend having a professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair this starting problem at your home or office.

3. Car turns over from starter, but not from ignition