Q: Car turns over but wont spark. Getting camshaft position sensor code. 2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l

asked by on March 17, 2018

I've been working on my 2004 Hyundai Sonata and was doing various tune-up jobs; brakes, spark plugs, ignition coils/coil packs. However, I ran into a problem when I decided to flip one of the coil packs with another because I was getting a "Cylinder 2 Misfire" code and was seeing if that would fix it. The same day, my car ended up dying completely and it would crank but wouldn't spark. I took it back into the shop, checked to see if the coils/spark plugs would spark and there was nothing. We hooked up the OBD scanner again and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor." The Cylinder 2 misfire code went away, but now my car won't run. Is there a fuel cutoff valve or something? I've looked for one, but researching and looking through my car, there's nothing. I tried replacing the camshaft position sensor, but to no avail and it sounds like my fuel pump isn't running. Generally, you can hear the fuel pump, but I can't hear anything.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is no fuel pump cut off switch. If the pump has failed, depending on the failure mode of the pump, you can diagnose the fuel pump yourself. Turn the key to the ignition (run) position. At that instant, you should hear a momentary whirring noise from the fuel tank (you must be in fairly quiet environment) as the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel lines. The whirring will be quick. If you hear nothing, then check for battery voltage on the harness that plugs into the fuel pump. If there is momentary battery voltage at key on, and yet in the prior step the pump did not function, you probably have a dead pump. You can also power the pump directly just using a battery to get additional confirmation. If you apply power directly to the pump and you hear nothing the pump is dead. This only covers the "pump is totally dead" failure mode. The pump can make noise and not pump fuel. To test that, you just look for pressure on the fuel rail. YourMechanic performs mobile repairs and diagnostics and a diagnostic on your issue, and any required repairs, can be performed right at your location. If you desire that service, just request a no start diagnostic and the mechanic will get your car started. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.