Q: Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor

Hi, on two separate occasions, the brake pedal on my Audi went all the way to the floor. In both cases, I had to turn off the car and pump the pedal until it was restored.

I have taken the car to a number of mechanics. Everyone tells me something different. The Audi dealership said that my front calipers were broken. I'm not sure I believe the dealer, as I've been driving the car "gently." Given that I have four calipers on the car, I don't understand why the brake pedal would go to the floor even if the front calipers are broken (because the rear calipers should work, right)?

The brake fluid is full, so there is no external leaking. I've read online that this could be a sign of a bad master cylinder.

I would appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks

A: If you have not lost any fluid in the maste...

If you have not lost any fluid in the master cylinder and the pedal goes to the floor, then your master cylinder must be bypassing fluid and not creating pressure. In order to have a mechanic diagnose it properly, they would need to inspect the vehicle to verify the issue. A mechanic cannot diagnose a problem they cannot verify is happening. For your safety and those around you, I would highly recommend that you have a certified brakes mechanic inspect the vehicle and resolve the issue. YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a professional mechanic that will commute to your location for the brake inspection.