Q: Car starts up and drives then turn it off and it doesn't start up again. I have to wait.

I I'm able to start my car and drive off but when I turn off the car, the car won't start again. I have to wait like 10 to 20 minutes so that I can start it again and drive off. I replaced the igniter in the distributor and replaced the main relay plug. I can hear the fuel pump start when I turn the key. I dont what else it could be. What are other things i could check or replace?

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like an ignition coil pack that may be failing. Ignition coils are prone to this type of erratic functioning or heat cycling when they are beginning to fail due to the temperature fluctuations under the hood which ultimately cause them to shut down causing the car to only run after cooling down for 30-40 minutes. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This process will repeat itself continuously until the coil ultimately fails completely and must be replaced. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your ignition system.

• Car starts up and drives then turn it off and it doesn't start up again. I have to wait.