Q: Car starts but won't when warm - 1990 Pontiac Firebird

Okay so I have a Pontiac trans am 305 tpi v8 its been acting weird the car wolill start cold but after few mins of warming up I shut it off an after that it will not start but after hour or so will start again not really sure were to start thought it might be a sensor or something just not sure what one at this time I don't have lots of money to just be buying parts want to try figure it out before changing stuff that's still good what should I do ..

A: First order of business is to check for any...

First order of business is to check for any diagnostic codes. This will make diagnosis faster and less expensive. Even though this model is pre-OBD II, there are on-board diagnostics. Both ignition and starter components can be heat-affected, but fuel related issues can also be a problem.

Malfunctioning temperature sensors (for engine management not the gauge) can cause "false cold" symptoms, flooding the engine. Fuel supply issues - low fuel pressure, weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, etc, are also accentuated with hot start.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection to determine why the engine is hard to start, diagnose this problem, and get an accurate assessment of damage and a cost estimate for repairs.