Q: Car starts but won't when warm - 1990 Pontiac Firebird

Okay so I have a Pontiac trans am 305 tpi v8 its been acting weird the car wolill start cold but after few mins of warming up I shut it off an after that it will not start but after hour or so will start again not really sure were to start thought it might be a sensor or something just not sure what one at this time I don't have lots of money to just be buying parts want to try figure it out before changing stuff that's still good what should I do ..

First order of business is to check for any diagnostic codes. This will make diagnosis faster and less expensive. Even though this model is pre-OBD II, there are on-board diagnostics. Both ignition and starter components can be heat-affected, but fuel related issues can also be a problem.

Malfunctioning temperature sensors (for engine management not the gauge) can cause "false cold" symptoms, flooding the engine. Fuel supply issues - low fuel pressure, weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, etc, are also accentuated with hot start.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection to determine why the engine is hard to start, diagnose this problem, and get an accurate assessment of damage and a cost estimate for repairs.