Q: Car starts but dies in 2 seconds.

The car starts and dies within 2 seconds, Or sooner if the throttle is touched. If i unplug the maf it will idle but rough. It will also rev with maf unplugged but not very well. I checked all vacuum hoses. I checked the harness that goes to the icm/cam sensor/cps and fixed any questionable spots (also added protective tubing to avoid problems later on.) i disconnected the battery and reconnected it but that didn't help. I can hear the fuel pump and it sounds normal. 4-6 months ago i replaced the icm, put in iridium plugs, replaced crank sensor (what fun it was). Not sure what to do next.
Update- with the maf and all sensors plugged in it idled smoothly for like 7 seconds then died. i found a sweet spot in the throttle and it revved. Couldn't get it to repeat this. But i noticed something, When i run it with the maf unplugged it gets hot fast. (Not overheating) but running hotter than it normally does with the maf plugged in. car has 86000 miles.
automatic transmission.

A: It sounds like you have a bad Mass Air Flow...

It sounds like you have a bad Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor if you can disconnect the MAF sensor, having it running, and can drive it. Especially in this case of having some drive symptoms but it acting better disconnected. This was a common problem in the early 1990’s with these parts on many cars. Try replacing it and see if problem goes away.

If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, since you can’t get the car running well. A certified professional will be able to come to you to diagnose your starting issue firsthand and replace your MAF sensor if necessary. Good luck.