Q: Can I install a turbo on my truck?

I have done some digging and can't seem to find the answer to this question. I want to get more horsepower and have the money to purchase a turbo... would I be able to install this on my truck?

The short answer is yes. You can install a turbo on your truck. You could install a turbo onto a lawnmower if you had the time, knowledge and money. But this isn’t a simple, straightforward modification. You need to be prepared to solve the many problems that will occur with a project like this.

At times, there are after market companies that have already worked out most of the challenges involved with a project such as this. If there aren’t any aftermarket kits already set up for your truck, then you will need to put the kit together yourself. This requires a substantial amount of time and knowledge. Another option is to find a shop that specializes in performance upgrades. They will probably be able to install a turbo on your truck. Of course, this will not be cheap and will take time. Performance-only shops are not as common as a typical repair shop and there may not be one close to you. Be prepared to search for such a shop. If you live in a major city, you should have at least one option. If you live in a more rural area, you may not have a performance shop near you.

The easiest route would be to find a kit already put together for your year make and model. If not, then someone, you or a performance shop, will need to design and build the turbo system. If you’re doing it yourself, you have a lot of study ahead of you. It isn’t as simple as bolting components onto your truck. There are many decisions to be made as a turbo modification like this affects the entire powertrain – engine, exhaust, transmission, and more – of your truck.

Long story short, this isn’t an everyday project. If you want more power there may be simpler ways to go than adding a turbocharger. Still, good luck and I hope it works out!