Q: Car stalling and smelling like gas

I recently had the air intake changed in my car. Ever since, my car does not work properly. The car starts and will move, but I have to keep my foot on the gas, or the car dies and has to be restarted. It also sounds like the car is drowning and it has the strong smell of gas. I think the air/fuel mixture might be off.

The air intake houses the mass air flow sensor. This sensor plays a major role in the fuel delivery system. If this component was damaged during the installation in the new air intake hose, this could be the issue. Also sometimes bugs or debris can get in the sensor so the reading may be off. My other suggestion is if the air intake hose was torn, your vehicle had a vacuum leak. This means the air fuel mixture was too lean, or had too much air in the air fuel mixture. If your car had an issue that was making it run rich, meaning the mixture had too much fuel, and the vacuum leak was balancing it out. Now that the vacuum leak is fixed, the rich condition is really noticeable. A qualified mechanic should be able to help properly diagnose and fix your cars stalling issue.

3. Car stalling and smelling like gas