Q: Check Engine and Traction Control lights on

The Check Engine and Traction Control lights are on. My car won't accelerate or pull up hills.

Even though there are two lights on, there is probably one problem. Traction control uses 3 things when detecting wheel spin. It uses the ABS to brake the wheel that is spinning, engine power is reduced, and it uses the transmission to reduce torque by upshifting. Given the two lights and the lack of power, I am guessing that a transmission code is set. When certain codes set the transmission will go into a limp mode, which means it will default to particular gear, usually 2nd or 3rd. Sometimes if you manually put the car in 1st gear, it will shift into 1st, so give that a try. In any case there are still hundreds of codes that cause this so the engine’s computer will need scanned. A qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and scan the trouble codes and make a recommendation.

3. Check Engine and Traction Control lights on