Q: Car squeals when accelerating

My car squeals when I accelerate.

A: Hello. A squeal when accelerating can come ...

Hello. A squeal when accelerating can come from a number of different places. If it is coming from the wheels, it is typically the result of a brake pad sensor that is making contact with the brake rotor. This is not as common if the noise only occurs when accelerating. The next most common is a worn drive belt tensioner. If the tensioner is not holding the belt tight, then this noise will occur. If the belt is tight and the brakes are fine then it can be a thrust bearing in the transmission. This is not as common and will not be very loud, but it will be a squealing noise.

If the noise is hard to pinpoint, a mechanic would typically use a mechanics sound locator tool that allows them to put small microphones in different areas of the vehicle. This is done while they drive it in order to find the location of the noise. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the noise and possibly correct the issue.